Day Dreams

A Brain, A Brain and A Kookie person. It used to mean something. Now its out of controle +) Our only hope is Blue

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Reporting from My Room

Its been a few weeks since I last arranged my room and its a complete mess. There are so many books on the floor. Here are some of them...

As you enter the room, the door hits a big hard-cover book, The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde. Take two steps, jump over my bag full of laundry that should have been done 3 weeks ago and you will land vertically on a pile of math books..An Introduction To Symetry and Dynamics, which I stole from a library is on top of MATLAB guide book...since the pile is quite high, you will fall down. Lieing on your back after the fall you will see a table with a very very big Greek-French dictionary, under the dictionary is Jules Verne's Around The World in 80 Days.

Right behind them, on the table and against the wall, is a beautiful Damascene mosaic, with Arabic callygraphy. Mosaic was introduced to Syria in the hellenic age and remains a very important and beautiful part of everyday life there. Not a house I know doesn't have a few objects in Mosaic. Maybe the most famous Mosaic from Syria is the big Mosaic representing Socrates and his deciples, from Aphamia.

Enough of that. Then, on the table there are DVDs. They are a bit further so you will only see them as you get up from the fall you just took:The Modern Times, Fight Club, and La Vita E Bella. This reminds me of when I was a kid and my older cousin always took me with him to the movies to see Charlie Chaplin.


Now you have completely recovered from the fall and continue towards the big window, occupying the whole wall. You will easily pass above two new piles of books. One of them is a math book, by Kolmogorov. The other one is "Remember Palmyra", by Miriam Antaki, a writter that comes from Rami's city, Aleppo. It is about Queen Zenobia. (I did three posts about her a few weeks ago.)

Now you can safely procede to the window. Right next to you, on my desk, is an old plane ticket from ALITALIA, has a lemon tree on it, and a calendar with greek mosaics from various places, it is turned to "March...The Muses". This page is a mosaic from Turkey, 400B.C. it represents the muses playing different instruments. Now that I look, there is a strange keyboard like instrumen!!!!

If you turn around there is my library. Full of CDs, my classical music collection is on the ground. On top of it are Ravel's Bolero and a Wagner CD. My newest DVD is The Terminal.

Now you're tired and you want to go to the bed. You will pass the book section in my library. A Biography of Alexander the Great, The Persian Letters, The Verses of Forgiveness -again Miriam Antaki- and two books in Spanish, including the all time greatest A Hundred Years of Lonliness. I forgot, there is also Mobydick.

You can sit on the bed, the English-French dictionary is very comfortable. Right next to you is a volume from the complete works of Naguib Mahfooz, Egyptian Nobel Prize winning novelist. It includes his short stories and his very funny "In Front of The Throne". In this book, all the governors of egypt, from the pharaons to modern presidents are being judged in front of Izis and Oziris. In fact the novel is like this: The day of judgement comes and all the kings of egypte pass in front of the gods, Thot, Horus, Izis and Ozoris and they talk to them and send them to paradise or to hell :)

Then there is my musicology books. My favourite, right under the bed: The Voice of Egypt, by Virginia Danielson from Harvard University.

By now you are really tired. You have been falling down and stubling on thigs for 10 minutes. So you want to rest and you can fall asleep on the mountain of clothes at the head of my bed. Several weeks' worth of untidyness.

8 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Steliano Ponticos!
Your room is officially worse than mine!
Thank you for sharing your books and CDs with us, and the mosaics. On the Alitalia ticket, is it a picture of a lemon tree, or a real one in a pot???

At least my books are in boxes along the side of my bed by the wall. I wish I had bookshelves, but this isn't my house. :(
But I'm always looking for a book that I never find.

I feel like describing mine now...maybe in a future post. I'm not posting as much as I've been writing, so my blog queue is getting long...

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Steliano Ponticos said...

Olive I sincerely take this as a complement and I am happy with it.

On the Alitalia ticket, its a drawing of a lemon tree on the ticket, although I would have loved a realy lemon tree on the ticket, like a ticket and if you're hungry you can eat a lemon +)

Usually my room is quite tidy


good blogging Olive. Bon Blogging.

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Rami said...

I read it :)

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Dina said...

Hi Steliano :)
That's a cool description of you room, you must be quite a reader! It made me feel guilty cause I haven't been doing my usual reading.
Btw I saw the Terminal and found it very good.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Steliano Ponticos said...

Rami, Thank you. I always knew I could count on you :)

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Steliano Ponticos said...

Dina the Terminal is really funny and very humane. Tom Hanks is great and Zeta Jones....and never let your room become like mine.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Jia Li said...

wow, if I had my own rm, I would share it!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Steliano Ponticos said...

Jia Li I like the fact that you said wow :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home